Super Tuscan (Italy)
- Tuscany Italy, where foodies and wine lovers bask in the beauty and bounty of the land. The growing season is by definition Mediterranean. Warm sunny days and cool nights benefit the grapes, contributing to the glowing reputation of Tuscany’s wines. While the land has challenged soil conditions, this benefits the region resulting in lower yields and higher quality wines loved by critics worldwide.
- Super Tuscan, a term made popular in the 1980’s, is used to describe wines made in Chianti that did not follow the strict DOCG rules using varietals non-indigenous to the region. A blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, this full bodied Super Tuscan exhibits aromatic notes of oak, vanilla, leather and spice while the palate punches with bold black cherry and raspberry flavours. Firm but not aggressive tannins and a long lingering finish makes this wine a true show stopper.
- Pairs well with a charcuterie board with prosciutto, salami, aged Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino cheeses with crusty Italian bread, or a traditional pasta dish with rich tomato herbed meat sauce. If looking for vegetarian options, vegetable pasta (mushroom and eggplant) drizzled in olive oil is a surprising match, as the olive oil will cut through the rich tannins and compliment the wine nicely.
- Varietals: Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon
- Weeks: 8 | Oak: Medium | Body: Full | Sweetness: Dry